Types of Marijuana Edibles and Dosage
The marijuana edible market has experienced rapid growth over the past few years. In fact, market research shows that the global cannabis-infused edible product market is anticipated to grow by $25.27 billion from 2020–2025. This growth is driven by the decriminalization and social acceptance of cannabis usage.
When it comes to the marijuana, many consumers prefer cannabis edibles. Cannabis edibles are a discrete, accessible alternative to smoking or vaping. But, with so many options and so many different dosages, it can be difficult to figure out exactly where to start.
Types of Cannabis Edibles
There are several different kinds of marijuana edibles out there, which can make your search for the right one for you feel stressful. Here are some of the categories of edibles available at Terrasana’s Ohio dispensaries to help get you started:
- Chocolate edibles and other baked goods tend to have higher fat contents. This means that more THC will reach your liver and be processed by your body at a slower rate. It may take longer for the effects of THC to be felt on your body, but the high may be more intense and last longer.
- If you’re looking for a more immediate effect, mints and hard candies may be the right edible for you. Because they dissolve in your mouth, they are absorbed into your bloodstream and you feel the effects more quickly.
- Within cannabis drinks, microscopic particles of cannabis oil mix with an emulsifier to allow the THC to dissolve in water. The THC is then absorbed through your mouth and the lining of your stomach, making cannabis drinks another fast-acting form of edible.
- Dissolvable cannabis powders can make any drink a cannabis drink, and could be a great option to moderate your own dosage.
- Gummies are an alternative edible that is easier to store than chocolates and other baked goods, and it’s slightly easier to absorb through the body.
When buying edibles, it’s important to understand the THC dosage in each product. The rule of thumb is that the higher the amount of THC in the product, the greater high that you will feel. If you’re new to edibles, or if your body is more sensitive to THC, it’s important to start with lower doses.
THC dosages fall into different categories. These categories are:
- Microdose: 1-2.5mg of THC. This is a great option for those who are new to marijuana edibles. You typically won’t feel much of a high at this dosage, but you may feel relief from pain, nausea and anxiety.
- Low: 3-5mg of THC. This dosage will help with pain, nausea, inflammation and help you to fall asleep. For newer or more infrequent medical marijuana users, this dosage could produce a high sensation.
- Moderate: 10-15mg of THC. This dosage is for more experienced users and will definitely produce a high sensation.
- High: 20-30mg of THC. This dosage is also for more experienced users. It produces a strong euphoric effect, and can be beneficial for those suffering with chronic illness pain, insomnia, or other severe pain.
- Acute: 50-100mg of THC. This dosage is especially effective for those with more severe physical pain, such as that caused by PMS, MS, cancer treatments and other conditions. It’s not recommended for those dealing with mental health issues.
- Macrodose: 100-500mg of THC. This is an extremely intoxicating dose, and only recommended for patients with GI absorption issues or other severe medical conditions such as cancer.
Find the Right Marijuana Edible for You at Terrasana’s Ohio Dispensaries
If you’re looking to try marijuana edibles, the Patient Consultants at any of our Terrasana dispensaries in Ohio are more than happy to help guide you. You can also shop online and discover a wide variety of edibles including chocolates, gummies, baked goods, drinks, tablets, hard candies, dissolvables and lozenges.